Make my lucky St. Patrick’s Day pins DIY using Shrinky Dinks. Creating unique DIY pins from shrink film is an easy and fun St. Patrick’s Day craft idea for kids and adults alike. Follow my simple St. Patrick’s Day craft tutorial and in no time you’ll have some fun, Irish-inspired accessories to wear for a lucky St. Patrick’s Day. 🇮🇪
DIY pins made from Shrinky Dinks
Do you love watching Shrinky Dinks bake as much as I do? I never get tired of seeing them twist and turn and get itty bitty. You can put these pins on your hat or your shirt, and mix and match them with my St. Patrick’s Day DIY necklaces. Are you feeling lucky? Let’s make my easy St. Patrick’s Day craft!
- DIY napkin rings for a lucky St. Patrick’s Day dinner table
- Easy St. Patrick’s Day cupcakes with charming DIY Irish road signs toppers
- Magical DIY leprechaun trap idea for kids to catch those sneaky little leprechauns ☘️🌈
- Transform your kid’s headphones for St. Patrick’s Day with my DIY lucky rainbows craft
- Cute rainbow birthday card DIY
- Green chocolate peanut butter cups recipe for an easy St. Patrick’s Day dessert
Craft supplies for making Shrinky Dink St. Patrick’s Day Pins
- Kathy’s free printable Irish maps and sayings templates (PDF – 2 pages, print the one you prefer)
- Shrinky Dink ink jet printable shrink film (or slightly cheaper generic shrink film)
- Good multi-purpose scissors or Xacto knife and self-healing cutting mat
- Pin backs
- VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back tape in clear or white
- Brown grocery sack or other paper
- Cookie sheet
- Heavy books to flatten Shrinky Dinks after shrinking
- Computer and ink jet printer (it’s gotta be an ink jet printer for the Shrinky Dink paper to work, no laser printers for this craft)
How to make St. Patrick’s Day Pins using shrink film (aka Shrinky Dinks)
Step 1: Print my free printable template with Irish sayings and maps
First, print my free printable pins template with Irish sayings and maps onto Shrinky Dink shrink film. No need to hole punch the pins, but if you want to make necklaces, please see my necklace tutorial.
Step 2: Shrink those dinks!
Then shrink up the St. Patrick’s Day pins by following package instructions. Let the kiddos watch through the oven door. I love this step.
Step 3: Add metal pin backs to your DIY St. Patrick’s Day pins
To make pins, you can either buy pins with adhesive or use VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back fasteners or other adhesive. I like to use VELCRO® because then I can re-use the pin backs for other things when needed and just pop these back on later.
Cut one small piece of VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back hook (scratchy) side and loop (soft) side for each pin. Peel the loop (soft) side backing and place on the pin back.
Peel the backing of the hook (scratchy) side and place on the back of the Shrinky Dink. Press the VELCRO® Brand fasteners together to hold.
Step 4: Wear your DIY St. Patrick’s Day pins with Irish pride!
Pin your DIY St. Patrick’s Day pins your hat or shirt. May the road rise up to meet you! ☘️
Step 5: Add optional DIY St. Patrick’s Day necklaces
And if you want to make matching necklaces, be sure to see my Shrinky Dink necklace tutorial. I have several DIY necklace styles for you including maps and Irish sayings.
Today is March 1st and there’s a collective exhale in Chicago that spring is finally (and hopefully) around the corner. Chicago is one of the best places in the U.S. to be for St. Patrick’s Day. Everyone dresses up in head-to-toe green, even our Chicago River.
View this post on Instagram
Pin my DIY Shrinky Dink St. Patrick’s Day pins craft idea for later
And be sure to see more of my easy and unique St. Patrick’s Day craft ideas.
Copyright stuff: You’re more than welcome to use my free project, printable templates, and tutorials for personal use. Contact me for commercial use and Etsy sales. Momma’s gotta pay the bills.